I’ve been making pizza for my family for about 20 years. During this time, I found some tips and tricks that can make or break your pizza. The result will be soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside crust.
The essential thing when making pizza is pizza dough. You can put any tasty topping on the dough, but if you get the dough wrong, the topic won’t stand out. These eleven common pizza dough problems and tricks will help make the perfect pizza and save you time and money:
Tip #1 – less yeast means longer leave time
Tip #2 – to much yeast means a different taste of the crust
Tip #3 – to little water will get you a crumbly dough and dense when baked
Tip #4 – to much water and you will end up with batter for ciabatta
Tip #5 – it is always better to add flour if the dough is to wet than to add water if the mixture is to dry
Tip #6 – under kneading the dough will result in sort of biscuit dough (the rising will be more difficult)
Tip #7 – not enough time to rest (should usually rest at least an hour) will result in a flatbread type of crust because the dough will be too tight
Tip #8 – cold oven when putting the pizza in, will result in bready and more chewy crust
Tip #9 – it is vital to put the pizza into a preheated oven. The temperature should be as high as possible. My oven can get to 275 C (520F), which I think is just about right.
Tip #10 – if you leave the dough to rise the second or third time it will be even softer
Tip #11 – the baking dish should be warm, not hot, but warm. This will help the dough in rising before baking.
How do you make the best authentic homemade pizza in the oven
If you make homemade pizza, you will make lots of it. Making pizza at home is a fun way to spend time with your family or friends. You can also make a fun family pizza night.
Start with making the dough. The authentic Italian dough is different than homemade dough. This is not because the ingredients are different, but because the oven you have at home is different. When you bake pizza, it is essential to get as high of a temperature in the oven as possible. Pizza restaurants have wood-fired or strong gas ovens that get to at least 800 F (426C). You can’t reach that kind of temperature in your oven. That is why the dough needs to be adapted so it can be similarly baked in a lower temperature oven.
The best thing to get the closest to the authentic dough is to raise it just before baking. The process starts with the first rise, which is about one hour. You can also make the second rise for an additional hour, but you need to mix the dough before the second rise. After the dough is ready for your pizza base, spread the toppings, and put it on a warm pizza pan. In this stage, the dough needs to start rising again; it needs a little push so it can become softer in the baking process. The rise before baking should only last for 20 minutes max.
Then you put the pizza in preheated oven on the highest temperature possible. You can usually reach temperatures at around 520F (275 C). The baking time should be fast. The longer pizza stays in the oven, the drier it will get.
The authenticity can also be achieved with homemade pizza sauce. The truth is that you can’t make good pizza sauce without good tomatoes. Best are homegrown pelati tomatoes, which are dense and have a sweet flavor. If you make pizza sauce with store-bought cheap tomatoes, you will need to put in more seasoning to get some flavor. The flavor that comes from seasoning and the flavor that comes from tomatoes is much different. That is why it is essential to have good quality homegrown or store-bought organic tomatoes.
The conclusion is that if you get the dough and the tomato sauce right, you will get the perfect authentic pizza at home.
How many carbs and calories are in a homemade pizza 100g
Nutrition facts and health meter for pizza, ham, and cheese
|Per serving||RDA (Recommended daily allowance)|
|Per serving||RDA (Recommended daily allowance)|
You can see pizza is not among the healthiest dishes. For example, If you eat half of this 12-inch pizza, your daily protein intake would exceed your daily protein needs. It’s also high in calories, fats. Even cholesterol and carbs are present in quite large quantities. The same slice of pizza would mean even larger nutrition intake for a female.
Prosciutto and cheese homemade pizza with Italian crust from scratch
Servings: this recipe will serve 4, or you can make 2 x 12,2-inch pizzas. To make them, you will need the following ingredients:
Homemade ham and cheese pizza with Italian crust from scratch
For the dough youwill need:
- 17.6 oz all purpose flour
- 2 tsp all purpose flour for the yeast mixture
- 0,74 oz compressed fresh yeast or 1 packet of instant dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 11.8 floz luke warm water
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 10 oz tomatoe sauce
- 14 oz cheese gouda or monzarella
- 8.8 oz ham or prosciuto
- 8 piece olives
- 2 dash oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- First, make the yeast mixture. Crumble the yeast in a cup and add sugar, flour, and about 0,5 cup of look warm water which you took from the whole quantity. Gently stir it and set aside at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, sift the flour into a bowl. Make a small hole and put in the salt. Mix just a bit and then pour in the yeast mixture and lukewarm water. Mix until ingredients start to combine.
- Then transfer the dough onto a working surface and knead it until you get a smooth Doug, about 10-12 minutes.
- Of course, you can also use your handy dough mixture if you don’t want to knead it with your hands.
- When you are finished, dust the bowl with some flour and transfer the dough into it. Cover it with a cloth and leave it to rest on a room temperature for 1 hour.After an hour, just put the dough a bit together and leave it for another hour.
- First, cut the dough into equal parts. Dust the dough with some flour and form it into a square. Transfer the dough onto a baking dish – a square one is best.
- Take your toppings and arrange them on top of the dough. First, the tomato sauce, then add ham or prosciutto. Arrange the cheese nicely. Then add some oregano and olives. At last, take some olive oil and gently drizzle it on the outside crust to get a crunchy outer crust.
- When making a pizza with this dough, it is essential to rest the prepared pizza for about 15 minutes before baking. If you don’t, the pizza won’t be that soft.
- Bake it for around 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 275 C (520F).When done, arrange it with some arugula or basil leaves and serve.